Leading ecommerce businesses use Rokt Ecommerce’s machine learning to make their checkout experience more relevant for each individual customer. The optimizations you deliver are based on your customers’ actions, transaction information, and preferences. You are in complete control of the data you choose to utilize to achieve these goals. You can use your data to:
- Personalize the experience: Just like when you choose to personalize an email, you can personalize experiences in your checkout with Rokt. This includes personalizing the message (“Customer, here are some extra perks selected just for you”) or tailoring the user experience, like frequency capping a regular customer.
- Maximize relevance: Customers appreciate relevant experiences. You can use Rokt’s machine learning to predict what will be relevant for each customer, increasing engagement in the transaction and therefore your profit. Relevance is determined for each customer by:
- Creating lookalike segments and determining which offers a customer is most likely to engage. For example, we might determine that men in their 40s in New York City have a higher propensity for a certain streaming service.
- Ensuring you don’t show offers that your customer can’t redeem. For example, a food subscription service might not be available in every state or market.
- Using each customer’s previous behavior to inform decisions in a customer’s current transaction. For example, if your customer has said no to an offer in a prior session, you likely won’t show it to them again upon their next visit.
- Fulfill customer requests: When a customer positively engages with an offer or message, they expect you to fulfill that request. For example, sending them an email including a promo code or confirmation of an offer, or adding an upsell item to their cart.
Classes of data
Rokt enables you to take advantage of four types of data to deliver relevancy to your customers while they are on your site.
Examples: Name, email address, customer zipcode, payment type, cart value, order confirmation number
|Your data is referred to as ‘Partner Data’ in Rokt’s agreement. This is any data you choose to integrate with Rokt to create a better experience in the checkout. Typically, this includes data from the ecommerce transaction, like a customer’s name, zip code, and cart value. It can also include an aspect of the customer’s profile, like if they are a first time shopper vs. a member of your loyalty program. This data is confidential information that is wholly owned by you at all times and is only used for your purposes.Think of Rokt no differently than you would think of your CRM or ESP provider—Rokt serves as a trusted platform that you can use to accomplish your business objectives. Rokt will never share your data with third parties.|
|Rokt Data/Derived Data |
Examples: Date/time of the customer engagement, customer engaged with creative1234, customer added product1234 to their cart
|Rokt improves the customer experience as well using its own data, i.e., ‘Derived Data’ in Rokt’s agreement. Rokt’s machine learning creates lookalike segments, similar to the decisions made by Facebook’s algorithm. Derived Data is also used to ensure relevant creative rotation so that customers who never add a certain upsell to their cart don't see it again and again. Rokt owns Derived Data and uses it to benefit all of Rokt’s Ecommerce clients and their customers.|
|Advertiser & Provider Data |
Examples: Audience lists, creative ID, conversion event
|This is the data that Rokt manages as a trusted intermediary on behalf of its Advertisers and Providers. This data is confidential information that is wholly owned by the Advertiser or Provider and is only used for its purposes. This data largely comprises audience data like suppression and inclusion lists as well as conversion data (i.e., which customers convert into customers of the Advertiser or Provider).|
|Licensed Data |
Examples: Discount shoppers, pet owners
|Rokt secures permission to use licensed data from third parties like LiveRamp for the benefit of all Rokt clients outside of the EU or UK. This data builds on Rokt’s cohorts and makes experiences even more relevant. It is generally owned by the third-party that provides and manages it and licensed to Rokt.|
Client data is kept separate
Your data, as well as other client data (Advertisers, Providers) is stored separately. It is not “comingled” or “combined” with data from other clients. Rokt acts as the trusted intermediary between its clients and does not share any given client's data with another.
Data is securely stored in AWS
Rokt stores data on best-in-class cloud services provider Amazon Web Services (AWS), in data centers located in Oregon (USA), Virginia (USA), Sydney (AU) and Ireland to support caching purposes in different markets.
All data in AWS is encrypted-at-rest using AES-256. Personally identifiable information is further encrypted at the cell level via envelope encryption using unique keys for each client.
All data access occurs over secure protocols, all data transfers at Rokt are made using HTTPS/TLS 1.2, SFTP or IPSec VPN, and any insecure connection requests are upgraded to HTTPS if possible or dropped subsequently.
Rokt is able to encrypt all non-PII data upon request.
In the event of service incidents, AWS service levels are outlined here for our core infrastructure:
- Placement (Widget) servers: https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/sla/
- Databases: https://aws.amazon.com/rds/sla/
See our Trust Center for full complaince and security information.
Robust content standards
Providing a high quality experience for the end customer is important to us, so we expect our Advertisers and Providers to meet our quality guidelines and campaign policies for everything that is displayed on your site. Rokt enforces a robust set of Campaign Policies that meet the highest benchmarks in all of the international markets in which Rokt operates. While all Advertisers and Providers are solely responsible for the conduct and content of their campaigns, as is standard in the industry, every upsell, creative, campaign, and audience is submitted into an approvals platform and is checked for compliance with the Rokt Advertiser Campaign Policies by a member of the Rokt team before it is approved and eligible to be shown.
Customer confirmation emails
When you show 3rd party offers to your customers, certain offers (e.g., with a unique coupon code or time sensitive offer) require that the customer receives a record. When customers accept a 3rd party offer, they immediately receive a Customer Confirmation Email with all the details they need to redeem the offer. Declining an offer or closing the placement does not trigger a confirmation email. You can also include a reminder email scheduled for 24 hours later.
When Rokt Ads clients set up a campaign, they indicate whether a Customer Confirmation Email is required (e.g., for coupon code delivery). In total, about 20% of offers need this feature.
You have complete control to enable the Customer Confirmation Emails. Doing so will increase offer redemption and ultimately help generate more revenue per transaction.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org