An integration mechanism is the method through which your outcomes are communicated to Rokt. The integration mechanism is fundamental to leveraging Rokt’s suite of optimization tools. To be effective it is most valuable when all events associated with an outcome are integrated with your Rokt account (e.g., not just those deemed in-house to be attributable to Rokt, or last-touch attribution). This ensures that advanced measurement techniques such as incremental measurement can be conducted accurately.
With a range of integration options available, selecting the right mechanism is not necessarily straightforward. At Rokt, we consider the following dimensions important when determining which integration mechanisms are most suitable for any given client:
- Latency - Integrates events with your account as close to real-time as possible in order to maximize the potential of automated optimization tools
- Coverage - Permits integration of events, across all channels, that are particularly important to you and aligned with the goal or desired outcome of your marketing campaign. As an example, integrating a browser-based tag method will cover web-based events but may not capture events that occur in-app.
- Reliability - The mechanism is able to report events that occur consistently. As an example, a browser-based mechanism may be more susceptible to blocking technologies and would therefore have a lower reliability.
In an ideal world, a single mechanism would be able to achieve all of the above. In reality, though, there are often trade-offs to be made based on technical feasibility and implementation timelines. As a result it is often advantageous to implement more than one integration mechanism to drive greater reliability.
Rokt’s Approach and Integration Mechanisms
When it comes to integrating outcomes, Rokt supports the following Integration Mechanisms:
- Rokt API - This requires a call to be made directly to Rokt’s API
- Rokt Pixel - A very small image embedded on your page that is invisible to the customer and loaded by their browser
- Automated SFTP - Events integrated with the Rokt platform via automated, scheduled deliveries to Rokt’s SFTP server
- Manual upload - Events may be manually integrated with the Rokt platform via FTP or One Platform Upload tool
For the majority of clients, Rokt’s recommended approach is to implement the Rokt API together with Rokt Tag . We appreciate that this integration approach may not be viable for all of our clients. The table below details the advantages of drawbacks of each mechanism.