Selling to current customers is easier than looking for new ones; Rokt helps you strengthen your existing relationships using custom audiences.
Or, perhaps you want to make sure that your campaigns are not shown to existing customers. Rokt can use your data to identify new and existing customers who come through our platform.
If you have a customer list or data from your site, such as purchaser email addresses, you’re ready to get started.
Rokt offers several ways to add existing customers to a Rokt list. You can import your customers from a CSV, TXT, or GZIP file to a new or existing list for the purpose of targeting or suppressing known customers.
Before you begin
- To import existing customers, you must know their email addresses, as this is the only field Rokt uses to identify unique individuals on the network.
- Email addresses can be imported in their raw format (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org), or in a hashed format, if security is a concern for you. Note that Rokt only supports MD5 and SHA256 hashing algorithms.
- For files to be imported, your file should only contain email addresses (and in the first column, if applicable). Your file may or may not include a header.
- Your account can support multiple lists. When you upload a file, you need to decide if you are creating a new list or editing an existing list. When editing an existing list, you need to decide if all customers in the file upload should be added or removed from an existing list.
- When adding customers to an existing list, if a customer already exists in the list, that customer is ignored (i.e., the customer is not entered twice onto a list).
- When removing customers from an existing list, if a customer cannot be found, that customer is ignored.
Creating a list from CSV, TXT, or GZIP files
In the left navigation bar, go to Customer Data > Custom Audiences.
Click Add Lists in the top right corner of the page.
Enter a name for your custom audience.
Select Email from the attribute dropdown list.
Click Upload to import a CSV file from your computer.
Once you have successfully uploaded your file click Next.
Review your upload details and click Save.
Your import task will start processing. You can navigate away from the page or even start another import task.
Multiple imports are queued one after the other so that there are not any clashes if the same email address is found in multiple files. Once an import task has completed, the next starts automatically.
Once your import is completed, it is listed with the following information: date, file name, and contacts added/removed. An email notification will be sent out upon completion.
You can target or suppress these email addresses in your audience settings for each of your campaigns. If you are already targeting the list you have added emails to, you don't need to change your targeting options.
Managing custom audience lists
Once you have created a custom audience list, it will be available either to target those particular consumers with your campaign or ensure that they never see your campaign. This is controlled from the audience settings for your campaign.
Adding a custom audience to your campaign
Including vs. excluding:
- Selecting Include results in only showing your offer to customers within the selected custom audience.
- Selecting 'Exclude' will result in only showing your offer to users outside the selected custom audience.
From the left navigation, go to Campaigns.
Choose the campaign you want to apply your custom audience to.
Click Add Audience.
Name your audience and enter any other relevant demographic details.
Click Yes on the Email list setting.
Select the custom audience that you would like to target or exclude.
Note: The default name for your custom audience might appear as Advertiser Database.
Click Next and continue the configuration as you would any other audience.
When you are happy with your audience configuration, click Save.