It’s easier selling to current customers than looking for new ones, and strengthen your existing relationships by using Custom Audiences. Perhaps you want to make sure that your campaigns are not shown to your existing customers. Rokt will compare your data with the consumers who come through our platform.
If you have a customer list or data from your site, such as purchaser email addresses, you’re ready to get started.
Rokt offers several ways to add existing customers to a Rokt list. You can import your customers from a CSV, TXT or GZIP file to a new list of existing ones to use to target existing customers or suppress known customers from seeing your campaigns.
Before You Start
- To import existing customers, you must know their email addresses, as this is the only field Rokt uses to identify unique individuals on the network.
- Email addresses can be imported in their raw format (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org), or in a hashed format if security is a concern for you. Rokt only supports MD5 and SHA256 hashing algorithms.
- For files to be imported, email addresses should be the only data field included (and in the first column, if applicable). Your file may or may not include a header.
- Your account can support multiple lists. When you upload a file, you will need to decide if you are creating a new list or editing an existing list. When editing an existing list, you will need to decide if all users in the file upload should be added to an existing list or removed from an existing list.
- When adding users to an existing list, if a user in a file upload already exists in the list, the user will be ignored (e.g., the user will not be entered twice into a list).
- Similarly, when removing users from an existing list, if a user in a file upload cannot be found in the list, the user will be ignored.
Create a List From CSV, TXT or GZIP
In the left navigation bar, click on Customer Data and then on Custom Audiences.
Click on Add Lists in the top right corner of the page.
Enter the name of your custom desired custom audience.
Select 'Email' from the attribute dropdown list.
Clicks on 'Upload' to import a csv file from your computer.
Once you have successfully uploaded your file click on 'Next'.
Review your upload and click on 'Save'.
Your import task will start processing. You will be able to navigate away from the page or even start another import task.
Multiple imports will be queued one after the other so that there are not any clashes if the same email address is found in multiple files. Once an import task has completed, the next will start automatically.
Once your import is completed, it will be listed with the following information: date, file name, and contacts added/removed. An email notification will be sent out upon completion.
You will be able to target or suppress these email addresses in your audience settings for each of your campaigns. If you are already targeting the list you have added emails to, you will not need to change your targeting options.
Using Your Custom Audience List
Once you have created a custom audience list, it will be available either to target those particular consumers with your campaign or ensure that they never see your campaign. This is controlled from the audience settings for your campaign.
Adding a Custom Audience to Your Audience
Including vs Excluding:
- Selecting 'Include' will result in only showing your offer to users within the selected custom audience.
- Selecting 'Exclude' will result in only showing your offer to users outside the selected custom audience.
Click into the Campaigns tab on the left navigation bar.
Choose the campaign you would like to apply your segment to.
Click Add Audience in the top right corner.
Name your audience and enter other relevant demographic targeting.
Click 'Yes' on the Email list setting at the bottom of the page.
Under Email list, select the custom audience that you would like to target or exclude.
The default name for your custom audience might appear as Advertiser Database.
Click Next and continue the configuration of your audience (bid price, nurture, etc.).
Once all the information necessary to create the audience is entered, click Save to complete the creation of the new audience.
Your Custom Audience will be targeted with your offers. Any consumer not in your Custom Audience will not be shown your campaigns.