In order for a referral creative to be displayed to users, it must be linked to an active audience.
There is a many-to-many relationship between creatives and audiences, meaning:
- The same creative can be linked to multiple audiences; and
- One audience can have multiple creatives linked to it.
Creatives and audiences all belong to a campaign. In order to link/unlink creatives, you’ll first need to select which campaign you are modifying by clicking on the campaign card in the Campaign Overview page.
Linking a Creative to an Audience
- On the Campaign Details page, find the creative that you want to link. Click on the 3-dot icon and then on "Link to audiences".
- Click in the audience search field, type the name of the audience to find it (if needed), and select it. Underneath the search field you should see the audience being added in the list of linked audiences. If you made an error, use the minus icon to remove.
- Click "Save". The window will close and the creative will be linked to the audience immediately.
Unlinking a Creative from an Audience
- On the Campaign Details page, find the creative that you want to unlink from an audience. Click on the 3-dot icon and then on "Link to audiences".
- Underneath the search field you should see the audience that you want to unlink. Click on the minus icon to remove.
- Click "Save". The window will close and the creative will be unlinked from the audience immediately.
Linking/Unlinking is different from Activating/Pausing
Linking a creative to an audience merely associates a creative to an audience. It does not necessarily mean the creative will start receiving impressions for that audience.
- If the creative is in a paused status, linking the creative to an audience does not cause the creative to become active.
- If the audience has previously been manually paused, linking an active creative to the audience does not cause the audience to automatically become active.
- If the audience was automatically paused because it it had no active creative associated with it, linking an active creative will cause the audience to become active.
- If both a creative and audience are active, the creative will start receiving impressions from that audience as soon as they are linked.
Conversely, unlinking a creative from an audience does not necessarily pause the audience or the creative.
- If a creative is linked to multiple active audiences, and it is unlinked from only one audience, it will continue to receive impressions in the active audiences it is still linked to.
- If a creative is linked to only one audience, and it is unlinked from that audience, the creative will be paused.
- If the audience is linked to only one active creative, and the active creative is unlinked from the audience, the audience will be automatically paused.